Monday, April 20, 2015

Hellboy and Reinventing the Superhero

Being a huge fan of the Hellboy movies, I decided to read some of the original comics. I never quite thought about the Hellboy character as a true superhero or at least I didn't put him in the same world as Superman. After reading a little bit of it, I found it was very interesting how much more I could connect to the son of the devil than any other superhero I had read of before. I think something that has made comics like Hellboy and Watchmen so popular is that the characters feel a lot rounder and they actually have flaws. It's very exciting to read about really epic and different characters that are also very relatable.

Also, the style of Hellboy has been very influential to me for a while now. Even though this is my first time reading a full issue of it, I'd usually look at Mike Mignola's art for reference and inspiration when designing characters. He has a very appealing sense of shape and composition in his work and even though I was really engrossed in the story I was reading, sometimes I would take a little longer to read the pages just to admire the art and how/why he did certain things.



No comments:

Post a Comment