Monday, April 27, 2015

Women in Comics - Persepolis

I read some Persepolis a while back and also got to see the movie quite recently. I've always been very interested in Iranian culture, but Persepolis was the first chance I got to see it from the perspective of someone so similar to me. Marjane Satrapi is an awesome writer and personality and she has certainly led a really interesting life. Persepolis is one of my favorite graphic novels, along with Maus, because of the powerful context behind them. The autobiographical content in this graphic novel just makes the whole story so much more enjoyable and personal for me.

In a sense, her work reminds me a lot of Isabel Allende's work. Even though they are completely different writers/artists, I feel like the female characters they write are very strong, independent, but still very feminine. I think it's very interesting to see, in some of the earliest "feminist stories", the authors would write the women very manly and tomboy-ish; as if, strength only comes in the image of the alpha male. Writers like Marjane have definitely shattered this stereotype and have portrayed a wide range of female characters. All women are strong, whether they are petite and feminine or tomboys! The main character in Persepolis certainly falls somewhere in between that spectrum.



No comments:

Post a Comment